Valletta (St. Paul's Shipwreck)

  • The church was first built in 1570 by Girolamo Cassar with funds provided by the Cathedral church; during the building of the church the parish priest administered the sacraments from the Carmelite church. The church was rebuilt between 1639 and 1679 and in 1733 it became a collegiate church.

    Parish Population:
    1,800
    Families: 800
  • Valletta (Parish Church dedicated to the Shipwreck of St Paul)

    Dedication date 15th May
  • Mission Statement

    For where two or three meet in my name, I am there among them (Mt 18:20). As catholics of the Parish of St Paul’s Shipwreck in Valletta we committ ourselves: 
      •   to build a community that lives with the presence of  the risen Christ,the fruit of our loving one another,
      • to follow zealously the example of St Paul by whom we are evangelised and like him we try to evangelise especially by making the pauline message relevant to the modern man and to the need of today’s society,
      • to welcome Maltese and foreigners who visit us.
      • to be close to those who feel emarginated and to use our time and talents to help those in need.
      • Under the protection of Mary our Mother to grow in holiness by living God’s word and being of service to our neighbours.
  • Archpriest

    Can. Rev. Vincent Borg
  • Parish Office

    Parish Office
    263, St Paul's Street

    Dar Parrokkjali
    74, St Paul's Street
  • Office Hours

    Tuesdays and Thursdays:
    9.30 – 11.00 am

     
  • Telephone

    2122 3348 / 79081904 Parish Office
    2144 1512 Qormi Residence
    7944 1512 Mobile
  • Parish Clergy

    Can. Rev. Vincent Borg, Archpriest
    Can. Rev. John Borg
    Can. Rev. Vincent Borg
    Can. Rev. John Ciarlò
    Can. Rev. Francis Perici
  • Honorary Canons

    Can John Borg
    Can John Ciarlo'
    Can Frans Perici
    Can Vincent Borg
    Can Dillon Bugeja
    Can David Farrugia
    Can Stefan Galea

    Parish Pastoral Council

    President: Can. Rev. Vincent Borg, Archpriest
    Moderator: Ms Lilian Azzopardi
    Secretary: Mr Paul Vella
    Public Relations Officer: Ms Bernardette Zahra
  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 7.00, 8.00, 9.00, 10,00, 11.45 am; 6.00 pm
    Saturday Evenings: 6.00 pm
    Weekdays: 7.00, 8.00, 9.00am; 12.40 pm (winter); 6.00 pm (winter) ; 6.30 pm (summer)
  • Other Churches

  • St. Roche Church

    The church was first built after the plague of 1592, but was later rebuilt in 1675.
  • Priest in charge

    Archpriest
  • St. Lucy’s Church

    The church was probably built in 1570 but rebuilt later by the wine merchants of Valletta. The relics of St. Lucian brought from the Roman catacombs are venerated in the church.
  • Priest in charge

    Can. Rev. Lawrence Zammit
  • Holy Mass

    Saturdays: 6.00 pm
  • Church dedicated to St Mary of Jesus (Run by the Franciscans)

    The Church was built in 1584; during the years a number of alterations were made and the church was adorned with several works of art. A miraculous Crucifix, the work of Blessed Umile Pintorno, is venerated in this church. The Confraternity of the Crucifix was established in the church in 1646. The remains of Blessed Nazju Falzon are venerated in this church.
  • Priest in charge

    Rev. Joe Caruana OFM
  • Address

    291, St Paul's Street
    Valletta
    VLT 1213
  • Telephone

    2123 4042; 2123 2926
  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feastdays: 7.30, 9.00, 10.00 and 11.00 am
    Saturday Evenings: 6.15 pm
    Weekdays: 7.15, 11.00 am and 6.15 pm
  • Jesuit Church

    The Church was the church of the Jesuit College and afterwards was the church of the University of Malta. It was built in 1593 and dedicated in 1731. It was in this church that Blessed Nazju Falzon led the Congregation for the British Servicemen of his times and converted many of them to the Catholic Faith. A special devotion to Our Lady of Pompeii is held in this church on 8th May.
  • Priest in charge

    Mgr Philip Calleja
  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feastdays: 7.45, 8.45, 10.30 am and 12.00 noon
    Saturday Evenings: 6.45 pm
    Weekdays: 6.30, 10.00 am and 12.00 noon
  • Oratory of the Congregation of the Onorati

    The Oratory annexed to the Jesuit Church belongs to the Congregation of the Onorati founded in 1600 by the Knights of St John. The chapel is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary and the relics of St Onorata are kept under the Main Altar. This present oratory was built at the expense of the Congregation in 1658 and replaces a previous one.
  • Holy Mass

    Sundays and Feastdays: 9.00 am (October to June only)
  • Monastery of Saint Ursola

    The Monastery was originally situated in Vittoriosa (Birgu) but was transferred to this site when Valletta was built. The present building dates back to 1595. It was enlarged in 1759.
  • Holy Masses

    Daily: 6:45am
    Sunday: 7:00am

  • Saint Nicholas Church

    The church was built in 1569 by the Greek Catholics as their Byzantine Rite parish church. In 1639 the Parish Priest, Papas Giovanni Metaxi, without prejudice to the parochial rights, conceeded its use to the Sodality of the Holy Souls which re-built the church. Relations between the parish and the Sodality are regulated by the concordat signed on 17th September 1766. The church suffered considerable damage during the last war and was repaired by the year 1951.
  • Holy Masses

    Daily: 7.30, 11.00 am
  • Church of the Blessed Virgin of Liesse

    The church was firsi built in 1620 but was rebuilt by the French Knights in 1740. During the last war it was severely damaged but was again opened for worship in 1952. Today it is the National Centre for the Apostleship of the Sea. The Feast in this church is celebrated in April.

    Address

    Seafarer Centre,
    Ċentru Għall-Baħħara u
    Appostolat tal-Baħar.
    Dar M . V .Moore
    No. 62,  Telgħet ta' Liesse 
    Valletta, VLT 1940
  • Priest in charge

    Fr Joe Borg
  • Telephone

    2148 7142
  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and feastdays: 8.00 and 9.30 am
    Saturday Evenings: 5.30 pm
  • Chapel of the Flight to Egypt by the Holy Family

    The Waterfront, Valletta

    Holy Masses 

    Saturdays: 7:30pm.
    Mass is also celebrated on major feast days and other special occasions.
    Baptisms are celebrated only during the Easter Vigil.

    Bookings:
    Mgr Alfred Vella
    Address: Kummissjoni Emigranti, Dar l-Emigrant, Castille Place, Valletta, VLT 01, Malta .
    Phone (+356) 21222644, 21232545,21240255 Fax (+356) 21240022 ; E-mail: mecmalta@vol.net.mt
    Office Hours: Week-days: 8.30a.m.-12.30a.m. > 3.00p.m. - 6.00p.m. Summer time: 8.30a.m.-1.30p.m.