The devotion to Our Lady of Divine Grace dates back to many centuries and the Sanctuary has since been a centre of frequent pilgrimages. Ħaż-Żabbar became a parish in 1615. The present Sanctuary was built on plans by Tommaso Dingli between 1641 and 1696. In 1738 a new facade designed by Giovanni Bonavia was given to the Sanctuary. The titular painting by the Maltese artist Alessio Erardi was made in 1715. In 1951 it was solemnly crowned by Archbishop Michael Gonzi. During 2001 a 12 star silver diadem was placed by Archbishop Joseph Mercieca.
Parish Population: 17,000