Ħaż-Żebbuġ

  • Ħaż-Żebbuġ was a parish before 1436, but the present church was built in 1632 and enlarged by Tommaso Dingli some time later.

    Parish Population: 12,200

    Families: 3,600

  • Parish Church dedicated to St. Philip of Agira

    Dedication date 13 May 1729

  • Archpriest

    Rev Daniel Cardona

    Mobile: 79729252

  • Parish Office

    Dar San Ġużepp,
    Misraħ l-Isptar,
    Ħaż-Żebbug

  • Office Hours

    Tuesdays
    9.30 - 11.30 am

    Fridays
    4.30 - 6.00 pm

  • Telephone

    Office: 2146 0800
    Home: 2146 5586

  • Parish Clergy

    Rev. Daniel Cardona, Archpriest
    Rev. Mario Sammut, Vice Archpriest
    Rev. Reuben Vella, Vice Archpriest
    Rev. Jesmond Grech
    Mgr. Joe Bugeja
    Rev. Dr. Salvatore Chircop
    Rev. Alfred Agius SDB
    Mgr. Vincent Cachia
  • Priest residing in the Parish

    Rev. Stefan Bonanno

    Parish Pastoral Council

    President: Rev. Daniel Cardona
    Moderator: Dr Philip Ellul
    ​Secretary: Ms Josephine Galea

    Parish Economic Council

    President: Rev Daniel Cardona, Arċipriet
    Secretary: Mr Alexander Gatt
  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 6.00, 7.00, 8.00, 9.30, 11.00 am; 5.30pm, 7.00pm
    Saturday Evenings: 5.00, 6.30 pm (Winter); 5.30, 7.00 pm (Summer)
    Weekdays: 6.00, 7.00, 7.45, 8.45 am; 6.30 pm (Winter) 7.00 pm (Summer)

  • Other Churches

  • Sanctuary of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

    The building of this sanctuary began in 1979 in the outskirts of the village. It was inaugurated in 1986 and consecrated in 2003.

  • Priest in charge

    Mgr Vincent Cachia

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feastdays: 6.00 pm 

    Thursdays: 6.00 pm (Winter); 6.30 pm (Summer)

  • Church of Our Lady of the Light (tad-Dawl)

    The church was built between 1738 and 1740 on the place of an older church dedicated to the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

  • Priest in charge

    Archpriest

  • Holy Masses

    1st Sunday of the month: 6.45 am

  • Church of Our Lady of Divine Graces

    The Church was built in 1680 on the site of an older church dedicated to the Virgin Mary.

  • Priest in charge

    Archpriest

  • Holy Mass

    Sundays and Feastdays: 7.00 am

  • St James Church

    The church is attached to a benefice belonging to the Cathedral and was built in 1674. Presently it is not in use.

  • St Roque Church

    The church was built after the 1597 plague and it is the smallest church in the village. Since 1980 its maintenance is in the responsibility of "Din l-Art Ħelwa". Presently it houses a small museum.

  • Ħal Mula Chapel

    In 1980 the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary opened a residence at Ħal Mula in a farmhouse. The chapel of their residence is open to the people of the locality.

  • Priest in charge

    Archpriest

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feastdays: 8.00 am

    Saturday Evenings: 6.00 pm (Winter); 6.30 pm (Summer)

    Weekdays: 6.00 pm (Winter); 6.30 pm (Summer)

  • Franciscan Sisters Chapel

    In 1794 a small hospital was opened in Żebbuġ for the elderly people. Later on, the Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Heart became responsible for the running of the hospital which also included an orphanage. Today it is the home for a small number of elderly women.

  • Priest in charge

    Archpriest

  • Annunciation Church

    The church was built in 1696 on the site of an older church.

  • Church of St Mary of the Angels

    The church was built in 1696 on the site of an older church.

  • Church of St Mary (Ta' Mamo)

    The church was built in 1685 and today it is used to store church furnishings.

  • Church of the Visitation (at Qirda Valley)

    The church was built in 1673 on the site of an older church mentioned by Mgr Dusina in the report of his Pastoral Visit in 1575. Presently it is closed.

  • Chapel of the Immaculate Conception

    The chapel was built after the plague of 1677. Presently it is used to store church furnishings.

  • Adoration Chapels

    Ħaż-Żebbuġ Parish

    Address

    Cenaklu, Main Street, Ħaż-Żebbuġ

    Opening hours

    7.00 am - 9.30 pm