- At Balluta Bay, in St. Julians, since 1859 there was a church dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel, built by the Confraternity of Our Lady of Mount Carmel of Valletta; the church was rebuilt in 1877 and given to the Carmelite friars who rebuilt it in 1900. In 1958 it was rebuilt again and in 1974 it became the parish church of the locality.Parish Population: 5,000Families: 1,500
Parish Church of Our Lady of Mount CarmelDedication date: 12 December 1984
Parish PriestRev. Joseph Saliba O.Carm
Parish OffficeCarmelite Friars,Tower Road, Sliema,SLM 1600
Office HoursMondays: 5.30 - 6.30 pmWednesdays: 4.30 - 6.00 pmFridays: 4.30 - 5.30 pm
TelephoneOffice 21337573Mobile 7970 8756
Websitewww.ballutaparish.orgMadonna tal-Karmnu Balluta
Parish ClergyRev. Joseph Saliba O.Carm, Parish PriestRev. Charles Mallia, PriorRev. Victor EnriquezRev. Leonard MahoneyRev. Alfred V. MerciecaRev. Guido MicallefRev. Robert FarrugiaRev. Hermann DuncanRev. Victor Paul FarrugiaBro. Lawrence MerciecaBro. Michael Rapinett
Holy MassesSundays and Feast Days: 6 00, 7.00, 8.00, 9.00, 10.00, 12.00 , 6.30 pm11.00 am (in English)Saturday Evenings: 6.30 pmWeekdays: 6.00, 7.00, 7.45, 9.30 am; 6.30 pm
St Ignatius ChapelThe church was formerly the chapel of St Ignatius which the English Jesuits had opened in 1877. The chapel was opened to the public in 1881, but remained closed for a certain period of time and during the last war it served as a store. It was reopened for worship in 1949.
Chapel of the Casa Leone XIIIThe convent which the Blue Sisters had near the Zammit Clapp Hospital became a residence for elderly people when the sisters had to leave the island.
Priest in chargeRev. Guido Micallef O.Carm.
Holy MassesSundays and Feast Days: 9.00 am, 11.00 am (in English)Saturday Evenings: 4.00 pm; 6.30 pm (in English)Mondays to Fridays: 9.00 am
Pastoral Centre "Jesus our Friend"About fifty years ago the friars of the Sacro Cuor parish, Sliema, opened a house in Rose Street for the teaching of Christian doctrine. For twenty-one years Fr Marianus Vella taught and said Mass in the house. Between 1993 and 1994 Fr Bernard Bartolo O.F.M. demolished the old house and in its place built a new chapel and a pastoral centre, which he dedicated to Jesus our friend. At present this area of Sliema forms part of Balluta parish, but the chapel and centre are still run by the Franciscan friars. Today Rose Street has had its name changed to Fr Marianus Vella Street.
Priest in chargeRev. Eddie Pace OFMTelephone: 21313353
Holy MassesSundays and Feast Days: 8.00 amSaturday Evenings: 6.00 pmMondays to Fridays: 6.00 pm
"Ibqa' Magħna Mulej" Adoration Chapel
AddressTower Road, Sliema
Opening hoursSummer: 6.30 am - 10.00pmWinter: 6.30 am - 9.00pm