Żurrieq

  • Zurrieq is one of the ten parishes which were already in existence in 1436. The present church was built between 1634 and 1659 on plans prepared by Matteolo Saliba, and was dedicated in 1731 by Bishop Alpheran de Bussan.

    Parish Population: 11,300

    Families: 3,780

  • Parish Church dedicated to St. Catherine Virgin and Martyr

    Dedication date 30 December 1731

  • Archpriest

    Rev Fr Karm Mercieca

  • Parish Office

    4, Carmel Street,

    Żurrieq, ZRQ 1011

  • Office Hours

    Tuesdays and Fridays

    9.30am - 11.00am

    Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays

    4.30 - 6.00pm

  • Telephone

    2164 2010

  • Parish Clergy

    Rev Fr Karm Mercieca, Archpriest

    Rev Fr Raymond Cassar

    Rev Fr David Torpiano

    Rev Fr Karm Camilleri

  • Priests residing in the parish

    Rev Fr Dillon Bugeja

    Rev Fr Noel Camilleri

    Rev Fr Emmanuel Caruana

    Rev Fr John Farrugia

    Fr Dionisius Mintoff OFM

    Rev Fr Ruben Vella

    Parish Pastoral Council

    President: Rev Fr Karm Mercieca, Arċipriet

    Moderator: Mr Angelo Schembri

    Secretary: Ms Catherine Sammut

    Parish Economic Council

    President: Rev Fr Karm Mercieca


  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 6.00; 7.00; 8.15; 9.30; 11.00 am; 6.00 pm

    From Monday to Friday: 6.00, 7.00, 7.45 am, 6.00 pm (Winter), 6.30pm (Summer)

    Saturdays: 6.00, 7.00, 8.00am, 6.00pm (Winter), 6.30pm (Summer)

  • Other Chuches

  • St. Mary’s Church at Bubaqra

    Before 1658 at Bubaqra there were two churches, one dedicated to St. John and the other to St. Roche; these were closed and instead a church dedicated to the Virgin Mary was built; in 1961 this church was enlarged.

  • Priest in charge

    Archpriest

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 8.00 am, 7.15pm

    Tuesdays and Fridays: 6.30pm (Winter), 7.00pm (Summer)

    Saturday Evenings: 6.30 pm

  • Church of the Immaculate Conception at Nigret

    The church is part of a palace built in 1658 by the Knight of St. John James Togores de Valemuela. A comunity of Benedictine monks resided in the place for some time before World War I; today the palace is occupied by the Congregation of the Daughters of the Sacred Heart

  • Priest in charge

    Archpriest

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 6.30, 7.30am

    Saturday Evenings: 5.00; 6.15 pm

    Weekdays: 6.45 am

  • St. James Church

    The church was built in 1725 on the site of two earlier churches, one dedicated to St. John the Baptist and the other to St. James. There is a daily Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament from 8.00 a.m. to 7.00 p.m.

  • Priest in charge

    Archpriest

  • Church of St. Batholomew

    The first church dedicated to St. Bartholomew at Zurrieq was built in 1482 but was closed in 1658; a new church was built between 1775 and 1784 and today this church is used by the various parish associations for their meetings. 

  • Priest in charge

    Archpriest

  • Church of St. Leo at Bubaqra

    The church which is situated in the cemetery at Zurrieq is a very old church; it was closed in 1658 but reopened twenty years later after extensive restoration work. A very old painting on wood which people say it belonged to the chapel which from 1343 to 1575 existed on the islet of Filfla. Mass is celebrated in St. Leo’s church on All Souls Day, on Father’s Day and on Mother’s Day

  • Priest in charge

    Archpriest

  • St. Agatha’s Church

    The church was built in the 16th century and was closed by Bishop Balaguer in 1658 together with a large number of rural churches. It was rebuilt later and enlarged in 1854. 

  • Priest in charge

    Archpriest

  • Church of St. Andrew

    The church was closed in 1658 but reopened later; today it is not being used.

  • St. Luke’s Church

    The church was built in 1468 but because of its bad state Mons. Dusina during his pastoral visit ordered its restoration. Today it is not in use.

  • Church of St. John the Evangelist

    This very old church is situated in front of the Annunciation church at Hal-Millieri; it is no longer in use.

  • Annunciation church at Ħal Millieri

    This is a very old church and was the parish church of Hal Millieri; when this village ceased to exist the church was left derelict. Today it is held in trust by “Din l-Art Ħelwa”.

  • Church of the Peace Laboratory

    In 1971 Fr Dionysius Mintoff O.F.M. took over an Air Force Hangar to use as a centre of peace activities, dedicating it to Pope John XXIII. The area was later on developed as a Peace laboratory. Marriages may be held in the chapel

  • Priest in charge

    Rev. Dionisius Mintoff O.F.M.

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 4.00 pm winter; 7.00 am summer

    Monday to Saturday: 6.00 pm

  • Adoration Chapels

    St James Chapel

    Address

    Main Street, Żurrieq

    Opening hours

    8.00 am – 8.00 pm