The Franciscan Capuchins came to Malta in 1588/89 and their first Friary was built by Grand Master Hugh Loubens de Verdalle outside the city walls of Valletta (Floriana). About one hundred and fifty years later they built two more Friaries: one outside Vittoriosa (Kalkara) and another in Rabat, Gozo. Thus they became an autonomous Custody in 1740 and then became a Province in 1840, with an added responsibility of a Prefecture in Tunis. During this century they founded five more Fraiaries: two at Marsa in 1912 and 1961, one at Xemxija in 1935, another at San Gwann in 1940, and the latest one at Ghajn Dwieli Paola, in 1953. They also undertook apostolic work in India, where their first missionaries went in 1923 and stayed till 1979 and in the process they founded the Diocese of Jhansi and also helped for 10 years in the Archdiocese of Bhopal. From 1974 they are engaged in missionary work in the Garissa Diocese and responsible for the Vice-Province of Kenya. In the year 2000, a new Diocese of Malindi was cut off from the Diocese of Garissa and Mombasa. Besides their pastoral work in Malta, they run three parishes and offer their spiritual assistence in hospitals, the prison, the main local cemetery and to the Police.
Triq l-Isqof F.X. Fenech, Floriana FRN 1211 - Tel: 21234949; 21225525; 21220163 (Provinċjal);
Kalkara KKR 1618 - Tel: 2182 5724, 2180 0612;
Fax: 2169 5905.
Triq Balbi, Marsa MRS 1815; Tel: 2124 6516, Kappillan: 2123 6622
Pjazza Lourdes,San Ġwann SGN 2010 - Tel: 2138 6112;
Fax 2138 2072; Kappillan 2138 6113
Pjazza Sant’ Antnin, Għajn Dwieli PLA 1970; Tel: 2182 8157
Triq Azzopardi, Marsa MRS 2050; Tel: 2123 8012; Kappillan: 2124 0661
Xemxija, San Pawl il-Baħar, SPB 9021; Tel: 2157 3282
Triq il-Kapuċċini, Victoria VCT 9088, Għawdex ; Tel: 2155 6608