Cospicua (Bormla)

  • Cospicua became a parish in 1586 and the parish church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception, was elevated to the dignity of a collegiate church in 1822. The image of the Blessed Virgin above the high altar was crowned by Cardinal Ferrata in 1905 and, fifty years later, Cardinal Tedeschini adorned it with a halo of twelve stars.
  • Parish Population: 5, 657
    Families: 1,600
  • Collegiate Parish Church of the Immaculate Conception

    Dedication date 25 May, 1732
  • Archpriest

    Rev. Can. Anton Cassar
  • Parish Office

    65, Triq il-Gendus,
    Bormla BML 1025
  • Office Hours

    Tuesdays: 10:30 - 11:30 a.m.
    Thursdays: 5:30 - 7:00 p.m.
  • Telephone

    21828 413
  • Parish Clergy

    Rev. Can. Anton Cassar, Archpriest 
    Rev. Can. Joseph Abela
    Rev. Can. Jesmond Manicaro
    Rev. Can. Ruben Vella
  • Other priest residing in the Parish

    Rev. Joe Henry Abela

    Parish Pastoral Council

    President: Rev. Can. Anton Cassar, Archpriest 
    Secretary: Mr Charles Gatt
    Chairperson: Ms Sylvana Attard

    Parish Economic Council

    President: Rev. Can. Anton Cassar, Archpriest 
    Secretary: Mr Joe Bartolo
    Members: Mr Gordon Harvey and Mr Alfred Briffa
  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days:  7.00, 9.15, 11.45 am and 5.00 pm
    Saturday Evenings: 4.45 and 6.00 pm
    Weekdays: 7.00, 8.30 am and 6.00 pm
  • Other Churches In The Parish

  • St Paul's Church

    The church was built in 1741 on the site of an older church built in 1590. Marriages may be celebrated in the church.
  • Priest in charge

    Rev. Can. Anton Cassar, Archpriest 
  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 8.15 am
    Weekdays: 7.00 am
  • St Thomas Chapel

  • Priest in charge

    Rev. Can. Anton Cassar, Archpriest 
  •  
  • Holy Family Pastoral Centre

    The Domus is a centre for the teaching of Catechism to children and adolescents, young people and adults, senior citizens and other meetings.
  • Priest in charge

    Rev. Can. Anton Cassar, Archpriest 
  • St Joseph Conservatory

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast days: 9.30 am
    Weekdays: 4.00 pm
  • Chapel of the Ursuline Sisters

    The Ursuline Sisters started building their convent in 1952 and two years later they began their mission in the area caring for and educating children.
  • Chapel of the Franciscan Sisters

    The Franciscan Sisters opened their school in Cospicua in 1889. The convent and school were totally destroyed by bombs during the War, but were rebuilt so that the sisters could continue their mission of educating and teaching children.
  • Holy Masses

    Weekdays: 6.30 am
    Sundays and Feastdays: 7.00 am
  • St Margaret's Monastery

  • The monastery was built as an orphanage in 1726 by two priests, aided by a lady who with some of her friends took care of the orphanage. The ladies lived as a community of religious of the Third Order of the Discalced Carmelites. Grandmaster Manoel de Vilhena insisted that the ladies should take the habit of the second order of the Discalced Carmelites and in 1739 seventeen nuns made their religious profession before Bishop Alpheran de Bussan.
    Dedication date 28 Ocober 1787
  • Priest in charge

    Discalsed Carmelite Friars
  • Telephone

    2182 0558
  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days, and Weekdays: 7.15 am
  • Church of St Therese of Jesus

    The church and friary of the Discalced Carmelites was built in 1625 and for over two centuries it was the only church and friary which the discalced Carmelites had in Malta.
    Dedication date 18 March 1797
  • Priest in charge

    Rev Juan Debono OCD
  • Telephone

    2182 6111
  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 7.15, 8.45, 10.15 am and 4.15 pm
    Saturday Evenings: 6.30 pm
    Weekdays: 6.15, 8.00 am and 6.30 pm
  • Adoration Chapels

    St Paul's Church

    Address

    St Paul's Street, Cospicua

    Opening hours

    Monday- Friday: 7.30 am - 8.00 pm
    Saturday: 7.30 am - 12.00 pm