In 1798 a small church was built where before a small shrine of the Virgin Mary had existed for more than a century. The church was rebuilt in 1844 but was demolished by the Government to widen the road from Paola to Zabbar. In 1950 the Carmelite friars built a small church not far from the place where the old church was situated. The Carmelite church became a parish church in 1965 and the friars, because the population of the parish was rapidly increasing, decided to build a larger church whichwas blessed in 1988 and dedicated in 1990.
Parish Population: 11,981