Ħal Għaxaq

  • Since 1511 at Ħal Ghaxaq there was a church dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary into heaven. When Ħal Ghaxaq became a parish in 1626, the people decided to built a new church which was ready by 1655; eighty years later the present church was built.

    Parish Population: 4,750

    Families: 1,500

  • Parish Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary

    Dedication date 2 May 1784

  • Parish Priest

    Rev Gordon Refalo

  • Parish Office

    20 Labour Avenue,
    Ħal Għaxaq GXQ 1832
  • Office Hours

    Tuesdays and Thursdays: 4.30 - 6.15 pm

    Saturdays: 9.30 am - 11.00 am

  • Telephone

    Office: 21667825 
    Home: 21892004 

  • Parish Clergy

    Rev Gordon Refalo, Parish Priest
    Rev Joe Inguanez
  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feastdays: 6.00, 7.30, 9.00, 10.30 am and 6.00 pm

    Saturday Evenings: 6.00 pm winter; 6.30 pm summer (July-September)

    Weekdays: 6.00, 7.00, 8.00 am; 6.30pm

  • Other Churches

  • Church of Christ the Redeemer

    The church was built in 1852 on the site of a wayside shrine dedicated to Christ the Redeemer erected in 1807 by a certain Mikelang Zammit who had escaped death when his cab overturned. Work on this church began in 1852 on the initiative of Rev Joseph Demicoli and was completed in 1859. Since then, this church enjoys great veneration from people all over the island. Marriages may be celebrated in the church.

  • Priest in charge

    Rev Joe Inguanez

  • Church of St. Philip Neri

    The church was built in 1762: every First Friday in the church there is a solemn exposition of the Blessed Sacrament during the whole day.

  • Priest in charge

    Parish Priest

  • Cemetery Chapel

  • Priest in charge

    Parish Priest

  • Adoration Chapels

    Ħal-Għaxaq Parish

    Address

    St. Mary's Street, Ħal-Għaxaq

    Opening hours

    7.00 am - 9.00 pm