On the 10th July 1902 some drunken sailors started throwing stone at a house near the bridge leading to Manoel island; one of the stones became stuck between the glass and the image of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in a small shrine on the wall of the house. The incident led to the building of a small chapel which came to be known as the chapel of Our Lady of the Stone. In 1921 Gzira became a parish and the people in the area started building a new church to take the place of the chapel. The church is dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel.
Parish Population: 7,000