Ħamrun (St Gaetan)

  • At Ħamrun there were two old churches, the "Samra" church and the "Ta' Nuzzu" church, but they were too small to be parish churches when Ħamrun was made a parish. A new church was built and was dedicated to St. Cajetan of Thiene, the namesake of the bishop of the time, Mgr Gaetano Pace Forno. The church was opened for worship in 1875 and in 1881 it became the parish church of Ħamrun.






  • Parish Population: 6,000



    Families: 2,100



  • Parish Church of St. Cajetan of Thiene



    Dedication date 26 September 1930



  • Parish Priest



    Rev Walter Cauchi



  • Parish Office



    3, T Caruana Demajo Street,

    Ħamrun ĦMR 1012



  • Office Hours



    Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays



    4.00 pm - 5.30 pm



  • Telephone



    Office: 21238593

    Mobile: 7993 0470



  • Parish Clergy


    Rev Walter Cauchi, Parish Priest

    Rev Joe Gatt, Vice Parish Priest

    Rev Nicholas Debono Montebello

    Mgr Lawrence Gatt

    Rev Tancred Sultana

    Rev Salv Vella

    Rev Andrew Borg

    Rev Kevin Schembri



    Parish Pastoral Council

    President:  Dun Walter Cauchi, Kappillan

    Moderatur:  Sur John Grech

    Segretarju: Sur Dione Spiteri



    Parish Economic Council

    President: Dun Walter Cauchi, Kappillan

    ​Segretarju: Sur John Saliba



  • Holy Masses


    Sundays and Feast Days: 6.00, 7.30, 9.00, 11.00 am and 6.00 pm

    Saturdays: 7.00am, 9.00am, 6.30 pm and 7.45 pm

    Weekdays: 7.00, 9.00 am; 12.00 (except for July - Sept); 6.30 pm



  • Other Churches



  • Church of Our Lady of Sorrows



    In 1951 a centre for the teaching of catechism by members of the Legion of Mary was opened in a house given to the parish by Farsons Ltd. Later on a church was built on the site, and today marriages may be celebrated in this church.



  • Priest in charge



    Rev Salvatore Vella



  • Telephone



    21238359 or 21231119



  • Holy Masses



    Sundays and Feast Days: 7.00, 8.30, 11.30 am



    Saturday Evenings: 6.00 pm



    Weekdays: 7.15 am; 7.00 pm



  • Chapel of the Miracolous Medal



    The chapel forms part of the Headquarters of the Society of Christian Doctrine and its building started in 1958; it was opened to the public in 1964. It houses the remains of Saint George Preca and of the Servant of God Eugenio Borg.



  • Priest in charge



    Rev Kevin Schembri



  • Holy Masses



    Sundays and Feast Days: 8.00 am



    Weekdays: 7.30 am; 6.00 pm



  • Church of the Black Madonna



    The church has a copy of the image of Our Lady of Atocia, vernerated in the Dominican church of Madrid. The copy was brought to Malta from Madrid in 1631 and a small church was built for it on the ta' Braxia Heights. At the beginning of the last century the church was kept closed, but was opened by Saint George Preca: today it is open daily and marriages may be held in it.



  • Priest in charge



    Rev Andrew Borg



  • Holy Masses



    Sundays and Feast Days:  8.00, 10.15 am



    Saturday Evenings: 6.00 pm



    Weekdays: 8.00 am



  • St Nuzzu Chapel



    The church dedicated to Our Lady of Good Havens, was built in 1745 and served as a subsidiary parish till the church of St. Cajetan was built. The Discalced Carmelites of Cospicua took care of this church when their church in Cospicua was bombed. Marriages may be held in this church.



  • Priest in charge



    The Parish Priest



  • Adoration Chapels



    St Nuzzu Chapel



    Address



    High Street, Ħamrun 



    Opening hours



    Monday - Saturday: 8.00 am - 6.00 pm