- The Cathedral at Mdina was for about three hundred years the only large church on the island. The building, erected during the Norman period, suffered considerable damage through an earthquake on the 11th of January 1693; rebuilt by Lorenzo Gafà, it was dedicated on the 8th of October 1702.Parish Population: 300Families: 85
Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint PaulDedication date: 8 October 1702
ArchpriestMgr Anthony Cassar
Parish Office4, Saint Paul Square,Mdina MDN 1100.
Office HoursMondays, Wednesdays, Fridays (except Public Holidays):4.30 - 5.30 p.m.
Telephone21 45 66 20 (Office)21 45 41 36 (Cathedral)
Clergy (members of the Cathedral Chapter attached to the Cathedral)Mgr Joseph Galea Curmi, Vicar GeneralMgr Anthony Cassar, Archpriest
Mgr Prof. Vincent Borg
Mgr Prof. Carmel Cassar
Mgr. Aloysius Deguara
Mgr Joseph Dalmas
Mgr Joseph Carabott
Mgr Vincent Deguara
Mgr. Joseph Mifsud Bonnici
Mgr Louis Camilleri
Mgr Carmel Farrugia
Mgr Saviour Micallef
Mgr Anton Gouder
Mgr Gwann Azzoppardi
Mgr Frans Abdilla
Mgr Charles Cordina
Mgr George Grima
Priest resident at the ParishRev Charles Bugeja
Parish Pastoral CouncilPresident: Msgr. Anthony Cassar, ArchpriestSecretary: Mrs Jessie Cassar
Holy MassesSundays and Feast Days: 9.30, 11.00 a.m., 6.00p.m.Saturdays: 9.00am, 6.00pmWeekdays: 9.00 a.m.; 6.00 p.m.
Church of Our Lady of LightSince 1393 a church dedicated to the Holy Cross existed were today there is the church of Our Lady of Light. The church of the Holy Cross was demolished in 1681 and a church dedicated to St. Roche was built in its place; a "sottoquadro" of the "Madonna della Luce" was put in the church and soon it became known as the church of Our Lady of Light.
Visitation ChurchThis is a very old church which already existed in 1575; it was rebuilt several times, the last time being 1720. At present the church is kept closed.
Church of St. PeterAccording to a report by Bishop Royas, the church was a very old one, but was rebuilt after Mgr. Dusina's visit. It took over 30 years to be built but then it was well kept by the persons in charge of it; during the last war it was taken over by refugees from the port area but was restored in 1956 and provided with an altar piece depicting St. Peter in chains, painted by Caffaro Rore. Today it is used by various organizations for their meetings.
St. Agatha's ChurchThe church was built in 1417 and rebuilt in 1694; it has always been well-kept and today it belongs to the Seminary; it has been recently restored.
Church of St. NicholasThe church was already in existence in 1434 and rebuilt in 1685, most probably by Lorenzo Gafà. The church today is more or less derelict and is used as a store for Cathedral furnishings.
Church of the SaviourThe church is first mentioned in 1436 but later records say that the church was completely abandoned; in the 16th century the church was well-kept and endowed; at the beginning of the last century the church ceased to exist although parts of it were incorporated in private buildings. The church was not far away from the Cathedral and the name of a street there recalls its existence.
Victory ChurchThe church which lies on the Rabat Road was first built in 1431 and rebuilt in 1754. It was demolished by bombs in the last war but the image of the Virgin venerated in the church did not suffer any damage and it soon became a centre of devotion. The church was rebuilt in 1956.
Holy MassesSaturdays: 7.30 pm
Church of St. PaulThe church is situated on the outskirts of Mosta and is a benefice of the Cathedral.
Church of St. JamesThe church is situated below Boschetto Gardens and is a Cathedral benefice.
Church of St. BlaséThe church is situated on the side of the Siggiewi-Rabat Road and is a Cathedral benefice.
Churches Run By The Religious
St. Peter's MonasteryIn 1418 the ancient hospital of St. Peter became a Monastery for Benedictine nuns; renovated and enlarged in 1625, it received the relics of St. Felicissima in 1833 from the Catacomb of St. Cyriaca in Rome.
Priest in chargeMgr Paul Vella
Telephone21 45 43 55
AddressSt Peter Monastery,Triq Villegaignon,Mdina MDN 1193
Holy MassesDaily: 8.00 a.m.
Carmelite Church of the AnnunciationThe Carmelite friars built their church and friary within the walls of Mdina in 1659 next to a small church dedicated to the Vergine della Rocca, given to them by bishop Balaguer on condition that one of the altars be dedicated to the Vergine della Rocca. Marriages may be celebrated in the church.Dedication date: 2 March 1906
Priest in chargeP. Charlo Camilleri O. Carm.
Telephone21 45 45 24
AddressCarmelites Convent,Triq Villegaignon,Mdina MDN 1190
Holy MassesSundays and Feast Days: 5.30, 7.00, 8.30 a.m.Weekdays: 7.00 a.m.Wednesdays: 7.00 a.m.; 5.30 p.m.