• Parish Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary

    Dedication date: 22 May 1867

  • Mellieħa was one of the ten parishes mentioned in a document of 1436, but ceased to be a parish when the locality was no longer inhabited for fear of corsair raids; but the sanctuary of Our Lady, the oldest in Malta, remained a centre of devotion. Mellieħa became a parish again in 1844. On the 5th September 1883, the Parish Priest, Rev Francis Maria Magri blessed the first stone of the new church. The new church was blessed by Bishop Pietro Pace on 5th September 1897. It was conscrated by Bishop Mauro Caruana on the 18th February 1930.

    Parish Population: 10,032

    Families: 2,100

  • Archpriest

    Rev. Joe Caruana

  • Parish Office

    Parish Square,

    Mellieħa MLĦ 1071

  • Opening Hours

    Mondays and Thursdays:

    4.30 - 6.00 pm


    9.30 - 11.00 am

  • Telephone

    21 52 34 49;

  • Parish Clergy

    Rev Joe Caruana, Archpriest;
    Rev Mario Dimech, Vice Archpriest
    Mgr. Moses Debono;
    Rev Joe Farrugia OFM (Conv)

    Parish Pastoral Council

    President: Rev Joe Caruana

    Moderator: Mrs Nancy Buttiġieġ

    Secretary: Ms Maria Bartolo

    Parish Econimic Council

    President: Rev Joe Caruana

    Segretarja: Ms Maria Bartolo

    Membri: Sur Sammy Borg

    Sur Charles Aquilina 

    Sur Alfred Mifsud

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 6.00, 7.00, 8.15, 9.30, 11.00 a.m.; 5.00 p.m.

    Saturday Evenings: 5.00, 6.30 p.m.

    Weekdays: 6.30, 7.30 a.m.; 6.30 p.m. (Winter at 6.00p.m.)

  • Other Churches

  • Sanctuary of the Blessed Virgin

    The sanctuary is the oldest Marian Sanctuary in Malta and is still a pilgrimage centre. Restored in 1999 - 2000.

  • Priest in charge



    21 522 510

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 10.00 a.m. (English)

    Weekdays: 8.30 a.m.

  • Chapel of Our Lady of Mercy at Selmun

    The Selmun Palace chapel was used as a church by the people resident at Selmun, but a new chapel was built nearby when a British consortium took over the Palace and built an hotel near it; in 1981 the hotel was taken over by a German consortium. The chapel was no longer used for religious services, so another chapel was built nearby. Marriages may be held in this new chapel.

  • Priest in charge

    Rev John Galea B.A., Lic.D.

  • Telephone

    21 57 57 40

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 9.00 a.m.;

    5,30 p.m. (winter), 6.00 p.m. (summer)

    Saturday Evenings: 5.30, 6.30 pm(winter);7.00, 8.00 pm (July and August); 6.00, 7.00 pm (April - June and September - October)

    Weekdays: 5.15 p.m. (winter); 6.15 p.m. (summer)

    Hereby are the Open Air Masses held in Mellieħa during Summer-time

    Ramlet il- Qortin

    Holy Masses

    Open Air Mass/Nearby Garage during Summer

    From the last Saturday of May: 7.30pm
    From 1st August: 7.00pm
    From 1st September: 6.30pm
    Mass will continue till the 1st of December

    Ramla tat-Torri l-Abjad

    Open Air Mass during Summer

    Mass is held from the first Saturday of July till the last Saturday of September: 6.30pm
  • Little Armier

    Open Air Mass during Summer

    Mass is held from 30th June till the last Saturday of September: 7.45pm

    St. Mary's Chapel

    The Christian Brothers built a novitiate in Wied Zejtuna which today is being used as a house for retreats. During the summer months, on Saturday Evenings, Mass is celebrated for the people enjoying their holiday in the locality.


    21 52 15 21


    Dar Santa Marija,

    Santa Marija Estate,

    Mellieħa MLĦ 2771

    Retreat’s House Yard

    Mass is held form the first Saturday of July till the second Saturday of September: 8.00pm

    Luna Complex

    Open Air Mass during Summer

    • Mass is held from the first Sunday of July till the last Sunday of September: 7.30pm

    (Mass times in these areas may change due to different circumstances)

    L-Għadira Caravan Site

    7.00 p.m.