The Parish Church of Senglea, dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, was most probably built by architect Vittorio Cassar in 1580 as a monument to the Victory after the Great Siege of 1565. Senglea became a parish in 1581 and was consecrated on the 20th October 1743 by Bishop Paolo Alpheran de Bussan. Pope Pius VI on the 21st May 1786 declared the church to be a "collegiata insignis", while Pope Benedict XV on the 3rd January 1921 honoured the church with the title of Basilica; after the crowning of the statue of the Virgin Mary on the 4th September 1921 the church became a sanctuary of the Virgin Mary. The church was destroyed by bombs in 1941, but was rebuilt and consecrated by Mgr. Michael Gonzi, on the 24th August 1957.
Parish Population: 2,700