Siġġiewi

  • Siġġiewi was already a parish in 1436 but hardly anything has survived of the original church. The present church took thirteen years to build and is dedicated to St. Nicholas of Bari. In 1862 the church was enlarged according to plans drawn up by Dr. Nikol Zammit.

    Parish Population: 7,700

    Families: 2,500

  • Parish Church dedicated to St Nicholas of Bari

    Dedication date: 1 May 1729

  • Archpriest

    Rev Joseph Grech

  • Parish Office

    37, Parish Street,

    Siġġiewi, SGW 1530

  • Office Hours

    Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays

    Winter: 4.30 - 6.00 pm
    Summer: 5.30 - 6.30 pm

    Saturdays
    9.30 - 11.00 am

  • Telephone

    2146 0827

  • Parish Clergy

    • Rev Joseph Grech, Parish Priest
    • Rev Nicholas Aquilina
    • Rev George Grima
    • Mgr Daniel Schembri
    • Mgr Paul C. Vella
    • Rev Martin Micallef
  • Priests residing in the Parish

    • Rev Joe Gatt
    • Mgr Lawrence Mifsud
    • Rev Reuben Gauci
    • Rev Dunstan Xuereb
    • Dun Dione Cutajar

    Parish Pastoral Council

    President: Fr Joseph Grech, Parish Priest

    Moderator: Ms Doris Aquilina

    Secretry: Ms Roberta Farrugia

    Parish Ecomonic Council

    President: Fr Joseph Grech, Parish Priest

    Secretry: Mr Joseph Agius

    Members: Mr Charles Abela, Mr Carmel Abela, Mr Tarcisio Pace

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 6.00, 7.00, 8.00, 9.30, 11.00 am; 5.30 pm

    Saturday Evenings: 5.15, 6.30 pm

    Weekdays: 5.30, 6.15, 7.00, 7.45 am; 6.30 pm

  • Other Churches

  • Holy Trinity Pastoral Centre

    The Centre was established to organise pastoral activities among people residing in a recently developed area.

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 8.15 am

    Wednesdays and Fridays: 7.00 am

  • St. Mark's Church

    The church was built in 1608 on the site of an earlier church.

  • Priest in charge

    Rev George Grima

  • Holy Masses

    Weekdays: 8.00 am

  • Church of Our Lady of Divine Providence

    The church is situated in the locality where once there was the village of Hal Kbir; the church of this village was dedicated to the flight into Egypt and it was closed by Bishop Alpheran. In 1747 a new church was built in the locality and blessed in 1753. In 1815 a portico was added to the church to stregthen it after suffering damages through lightning and an earthquake.

  • St. Mary's Church at Ħal Xluq

    The church was built in the 15th century. Of the village of Hal Xluq nothing remains except a palace now used as a farmhouse, and a few scattered houses. The feast is celebrated on Sunday following the 15th August.

  • Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel at Fawwara

    The church belongs to the Confraternity of Our Lady of Charity at St. Paul's church, Valletta; it was built in 1669.

  • Dar tal-Providenza

    In 1962 Malta Catholic Action took over the Navy Rest Camp at Siggiewi to use as a summer camp for children attending Catholic Action Centres. In 1965 Mgr M. Azzopardi started building on the site three seperate homes for disabled persons: Villa Mons. Gonzi for children, Villa Papa Luciani for semi-independent persons, and Villa Papa Giovanni for adults. 

  • Director

    Rev Martin Micallef

  • Holy Masses

    Saturdays, Sundays and Feast Days: 10.00 am

    Weekdays: 9.30 am (except Wednesday)

  • Chapel of the Annunciation at Fawwara

    The church was built in 1619 and closed by Bishop Balaguer in 1658; it was rebuilt in 1716 and is situated on the Gebel Ciantar heights at the entrance of Fawwara.

  • Chapel of the Annunciation at Ta' l-Għolja

    The church was first built in 1430, but was rebuilt in 1464 and again in 1650; destroyed by the 1693 earthquake it was rebuilt from funds provided by the sailors serving on the Order's galleys; destroyed again by an earthquake in 1856 it was built again a year later.

  • Chapel of St. John the Baptist

    The church was built in 1730 together with a residence for the priest in charge and a Capuchin hospital. The church was officiated by the Capuchins during the war. The feast is celebrated on the last Sunday of August.

  • St. Mary's Church at Ċwejra

    The church was built in 1742 by the Vittoriosa Dominicans on a piece of land given to them by Grand Master Despuig.

  • Adoration Chapels

    Chapel of St. John the Baptist

    Address

    St Nicholas' Square, Siġġiewi 

    Opening hours

    6.00 am - 10.00 pm